Tuesday, October 4, 2011

First Loyalty to Citizens


In the study of journalism we learn that a journalists first loyalty is to the citizens. The group handout said news coverage is not bought or influenced by those in power, slanted from friends, or clouded by self-interest. I am aware this is what the books teach us, but I am hesitant to believe it.In ideal situations those in power do not influence the news. However, those ideal situations are few and far between. In smaller markets I feel there is less slanted influence, but in bigger markets companies often manipulate news organizations by threatening to remove all advertisements if the news airs a certain story that would be detrimental to the powerful company or person.

As future journalists I think it is important for us to commit now to do all we can to prevent those in power from manipulating us into influencing the news to their benefit. News is news and we are the ears of the people. Society depends on us to accurately inform them. Our role is to tell the audience the unvarnished truth as best we know it. I like what the group said, “Journalism works best when both sides are committed to the profession’s values, not one side to business and the other to public service.” When I land my first job I want to work for an organization explained in the book, where commitment and understanding flow down the organization.  


No comments:

Post a Comment